Tens Machine Treatment
What is the benefit of this treatment?
TENS is a Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation device that sends electrical impulses through the skin to various parts of the body.
The TENS machine works in different ways to:
- Stimulate non-pain carrying nerves that interfere or block pain messages being transmitted to the brain. This alleviates the perception of pain
- Activate points in the muscle that can cause analgesic effects
- Stimulate the body to produce endorphins. These act in the same way as pain relieving medication such as morphine to block pain signals from the brain
- Increase blood flow to the site of pain and alleviate points of soreness where there is a loss of local blood flow
- Break down the pain cycle. After a course of treatments the body can learn to ‘not feel the pain’
Why Use a TENS machine?
TENS is used to treat a number of acute and chronic pain conditions. These include; Delayed onset muscle soreness, stress, tennis elbow, knee pain, labour and period pain, acute/chronic neck and back pain, sciatica, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia.
When experiencing physical pain we frequently avoid using muscles located in this area and compensate by using unaffected muscles. This in turn can cause muscle stiffness, soreness and result in a loss of muscle function and strength.
The TENS machine can help to reduce the perception of pain, release muscle tension, encourage relaxation, increase blood flow, stimulate nerves, activate muscle contractions and correct firing patterns.
A Myotherapist can use other modalities in conjunction with a TENS machine to treat the source of pain. By correcting posture, trigger point deactivation, prescribing corrective exercises and muscle strengthening we can accelerate the healing process significantly.